Identifying Fraudulent Emails
As a member, you likely receive regular emails from Petfinder. However, you may also receive emails that are designed to look similar to legitimate emails, but are not from Petfinder, and ask for private information. This practice is known as phishing.
Phishing emails may attempt to obtain sensitive account information, such as your username and password. If you provide this information, it can be used to commit fraud. If you use the same passwords across several websites, the fraudulent activity might not be limited to your Petfinder account.
To protect yourself, as well as other Petfinder users, please see these helpful tips below:
- Petfinder will never ask you to verify your login information outside of the password reset feature found here: https://www.petfinder.com/pro/user/login/.
- Petfinder will never email or text you about “suspicious activity” on your account. If you receive such an email or text message, please forward it to email@example.com.
- Do not click on links that ask for you to verify usernames and passwords.
- When in doubt, do not click on a link in an email.
- Do not share your password with anyone. Every user associated with your membership should have their own login information.
- Do not respond to emails requesting payment for Petfinder membership or required linking of social media accounts (such as Facebook). Outsiders have been contacting members in an attempt to receive payment or steal usernames and passwords to to access to accounts. In their messages, they link to a fake form or login screen where they capture your information or even collect payment.
- Check the email’s sender information. If the “received from,” “reply to,” or “return path” for the email is not “@petfinder.com”, “@petfinder-email.com,” or “@sfmc.petfinder.com” it is not from Petfinder. Most email programs let you examine the source of the email. The method you use to check the header information will vary by email program.
If you are at all unsure about a communication that appears to be from Petfinder, please reach out to Petfinder directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help!