On Petfinder there are several options for using photos and videos to promote your pets and your organization to the public. In any of these areas, you can add photos and video when you first start, or you can come back and edit or add at any time.
Photos are not required to post a pet on Petfinder, but they certainly help get pets adopted!
WHERE PHOTOS AND VIDEO ARE VISIBLE ON PETFINDER
• On a pet listing: Post up to 6 photos for each pet (or 5 photos and 1 video). This can be managed in the Pet Listing Editor.
• On an event listing: Include up to 1 photo in your event listing (video is not supported). This can be managed in the Event Editor.
• On your organization’s Petfinder Homepage**: Include 1 profile photo from your Homepage Editor
under Settings (video is not supported)
• On an organization’s Dashboard profile** — Add up to 6 photos (video is not supported). This can be managed from Account Photos under Settings
•NOTE: Until a later date, organization’s Dashboard profile photos will not be displayed on Petfinder **Available to admins only
FILE TYPES, SIZES, AND QUALITY
- Photos: JPG, PNG, GIF, or BMP. 25 MB max.
- For good quality, use a photo that is at least 570 pixels wide; for better quality, use one that is at least 1000 pixels wide.
- Video: .asf, .avi, .dv, .flv, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .mp4, RealVideo (.rm), .qt, .vob, .webm, .wmv. 25 MB max. We currently only support one video per pet.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Updates made to photos or videos for a pet, event or Petfinder homepage already appearing on Petfinder will be updated on our site immediately, once they’re saved.
There are two ways you can add a photo or a video: either drag and drop or upload a file from the file picker.
DRAG AND DROP
1. Locate the Photos & Video section area you’d like to update:
•Pet listings – choose a pet listing and click EDIT.
•For the organization’s profile photo, open the Homepage Editor (under Settings in main menu).
•For event listings, choose an event and click EDIT.
2. Go to the Photos & Video section of the editor.
3. Drag and drop a photo or video into an empty slot. A blue bar will show while it loads.
4. When the blue bar is full, the upload is complete!
Now you can add another media file, edit this one, or continue filling out the pet’s listing.
1. Select the Upload (Photo/Video) button from the top of the photo editor.
2. Select a photo or video file from your device. A blue bar will show it is loading.
3. When the blue bar is full, the upload is complete.
Now you can add another media file, edit this one, or continue filling out this listing.
Pro Tip: To embed a link, videos must be hosted elsewhere, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Dropbox, or other hosting service.
1. From the photo editor, select EMBED (VIDEO LINK) button
2. Paste the URL that links to your video.
3. Select ADD VIDEO to embed it, or CANCEL to return.
1. Choose the photo you’d like to rotate. You will see a blue outline when it is selected.
2. Select the pencil icon from the top left corner of the photo. This will open the Photo Editor.
3. To ROTATE the photo clockwise, use the circular arrow icon on the top right.
4. Now SAVE or CANCEL your photo edits.
1. When you have more than one photo for a pet, you can pick a primary photo to appear in first in Petfinder’s search results.
2. Choose the photo you’d like to set as the primary. You will see a blue outline when it is selected.
3. Choose MAKE PRIMARY.
4. The photo will now be marked PRIMARY IMAGE.
Now, you can add another media file, edit this one, or continue filling out the pet’s listing.
Removing Images & Video
NOTE: There are no draft or holding states for photos or videos. When you delete a photo or video it is permanently removed.
1. Select a pet profile, event or organization photo. You will see a blue outline when it is selected.
2. To REMOVE it, select the “X” icon from the top left corner of the photo.
3. A confirmation will appear. Select DELETE to permanently remove the file.
Your image will now be removed from the pet listing.
Looking for something different? Return to our Help Center.