Throughout this site, the terms “we”, “us”, “our”, and “Petfinder” refer to Petfinder, a division of Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, a Missouri corporation. “You”, “shelter”, and “member” refers to any animal shelter, rescue, organization and/or person accessing and/or using this website to list adoptable pets.
Petfinder is a free service for animal shelters, rescue organizations and other agencies involved in rehoming and caring for adoptable pets in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Petfinder’s mission is to end the euthanasia of adoptable pets by providing the most successful and largest platform to share your pets online.
Petfinder offers web site publishing capability to enable subscribers to become part of the online community. Petfinder regards such sites as part of the Petfinder service and will enforce its community guidelines for member-created web pages.
Petfinder considers all areas of Petfinder, including email folders, as “public”. As such, any file, program, or material placed in these areas, including, but not limited to, web pages, pictures, videos, documents, sound files, message boards, chat rooms, scripts etc. are accessible to Petfinder and associates. By submitting content in these public areas, you grant to Petfinder the absolute right to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, etc. the content in any part, anywhere.
The following requirements must be maintained for all Petfinder member accounts, including but not limited to homepages and pet lists:
1. The Member Code of Conduct for members must be followed.
2. The member’s Petfinder pet list must be kept up to date.
3. 501(c)(3) non-profit status, or federal charity status in Canada or Mexico, is not required for Petfinder membership, for adoption groups accepting and adopting out pets within their own country of origin. However, members must be legitimately operating as an animal shelter, rescue or adoption organization (large or small), and post your adoptable pets in a not-for-profit manner. Adoption fees must reflect the spirit of shelter pet adoption and are not expected to cover the financial investment a group has placed in a pet. Breeding animals specifically for the for-profit pet trade, encouraging the public to buy pets for breeding, auctioning or selling pets for profit is prohibited. Pets posted on Petfinder may not have been obtained in a manner that has provided profit for any commercial or individual pet breeder or seller.
4. Members are expected to adhere to applicable state and federal animal care regulations and seek veterinary guidance as needed or required by law. Pets may not be declawed, devocalized, or cosmetically altered via surgery as a tactic to improve their adoptability on Petfinder. Pets who enter an adoption group’s care already declawed, devocalized, or cosmetically altered may be posted for adoption on Petfinder.
Rescues or shelters that voluntarily accept pets (versus a municipal open-admission shelter that must accept all pets) must spay/neuter their adoptable pets before adoption or include a future spay/neuter in their adoption fee.
5. United States 501(c)(3) charity status, or federal charity status in Canada or Mexico is required of any group importing pets from outside of the United States, Canada, or Mexico. Pets must be physically in the US, Canada, or Mexico before being posted on Petfinder. The importing organization must follow the federal and local import and quarantine requirements of their state, province, or country.
6. Member home pages must contain enough information that a potential adopter can learn about the member, the member’s adoption policies, adoption procedures, adoption fees, and be able to contact the member, without leaving the member’s Petfinder home page.
7. Member-created web pages and content shall not promote or advertise any competitor of Petfinder, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company and/or any Petfinder sponsor. What constitutes a competitor and a sponsor will be determined at the sole discretion of Petfinder.
8. No advertising or URLS to advertising pages outside Petfinder are allowed on Pet Profile pages in any fashion.
9. HTML should not be used in the Animal Description area of Pet Profile pages. Petfinder Pet Profiles do not support HTML, and the code itself will appear, making your profiles difficult to read.
11. Eligibility for membership with Petfinder is determined at the sole discretion of Petfinder. Completion of a membership application does not guarantee membership approval.
Each Petfinder member plays an integral role in the mission of increasing pet adoption and decreasing euthanasia. Maintaining a good reputation for pet adoption and a public trust in Petfinder is a responsibility we all carry to help all pets find loving homes. We ask that each Petfinder member adheres to a basic Code of Conduct, ensuring pet adoption is a positive and rewarding experience for Petfinder visitors and adopters and to promote a community experience within our membership.
Being a Petfinder member means that you agree to the following Code of Conduct:
- To keep full and accurate contact information available under “Contacts,” “Organization Info” and “Locations.”
- To actively maintain a listing of your organization’s adoptable pets on Petfinder. Should your organization’s account fall temporarily inactive after 90 days of non-use, it can easily be reactivated after logging in via the member Pro web page.
- To only post adoptable pets once and only those directly from your organization in the location where they are currently being fostered or sheltered at the time of posting.
- To give truthful information about the pets’ description and adoption fee, to the best of your knowledge and to remove pets no longer adoptable from the shelters adoptable pet list.
- To post only adoptable pets, not pets or items for sale, pets for breeding purposes, pets not allowed by law or the promotion of commercial products or services.
- To operate in a not-for-profit manner, even if you do not have official non-profit status, with fees that reflect the spirit of animal shelter adoption.
- To spay/neuter all pets before adoption, or include future spay/neuter in your adoption fee, if your group accepts pets voluntarily and is not mandated to accept pets as a municipal open-admission shelter.
- To maintain a basic home page on Petfinder, giving visitors more information about your shelter or organization, your adoption fees, and adoption procedures.
- To reply to questions from the public in a timely and respectful manner, without requiring an upfront fee or application process.
- To reply to questions from the Petfinder staff in a timely and respectful manner.
- To modify any pet profiles or home page content that violates this Code of Conduct within the timeframe requested by Petfinder staff.
- Not to post disparaging information on Petfinder about other organizations, individuals, breeds/pets, Petfinder or Nestlé Purina PetCare Company. Because Petfinder is a family web site, content must be suitable to be viewed by visitors of all ages. Profane, discriminatory, or slanderous language are prohibited.
- You warrant that you, and any users associated with your Petfinder account, do not have any animal care related citations, violations or crimes, or other convictions for actions that endangered public safely, or that that prohibit you from using the internet or social media sites.
- You agree that your organization may be removed from Petfinder at Petfinder’s sole discretion, without advance notice, for reasons including but not limited to an organization’s deviation from this Code of Conduct or Terms and Conditions.
Last Update, July 15, 2019
In addition to the above, you are subject to and agree to our general website Terms and Conditions.