Throughout this site, the terms “we”, “us”, “our”, and “Petfinder” refer to Petfinder, a division of Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, a Missouri corporation. “You”, “shelter”, and “member” refers to any animal shelter, rescue, organization and/or person accessing and/or using this website to list adoptable pets.
Petfinder is a free service for animal shelters, rescue organizations and other agencies involved in rehoming and caring for adoptable pets. Petfinder’s mission is to end the euthanasia of adoptable pets by providing the most successful and largest platform to share your pets online.
Petfinder offers web site publishing capability to enable subscribers to become part of the online community. Petfinder regards such sites as part of the Petfinder service and will enforce its community guidelines for member-created web pages.
Petfinder considers all areas of Petfinder, including FTP accounts and email folders, as “public”. As such, any file, program, or material placed in these areas, including, but not limited to, web pages, pictures, videos, documents, sound files, message boards, chat rooms, scripts etc. are accessible to Petfinder and associates. By submitting content in these public areas, you grant to Petfinder the absolute right to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, etc. the content in any part, anywhere.
The following requirements must be maintained for all Petfinder member accounts, including but not limited to homepages and pet lists:
1. The Shelter Code of Conduct for members must be followed.
2. The member’s Petfinder pet list must be kept up to date.
3. 501(c)(3) non-profit status is not required for membership with Petfinder. However, members must be legitimately operating as an animal shelter, rescue or adoption organization (large or small), and post your adoptable pets in a not-for-profit manner. Adoption fees should reflect the spirit of shelter pet adoption and are not expected to cover the financial investment a group has placed in a pet. Breeding animals specifically for the for-profit pet trade, encouraging the public to buy pets for breeding, auctioning or selling pets for profit is prohibited.
4. Member home pages cannot auto-forward to a page/site outside of Petfinder and must contain a link to the associated Pet List. The page must contain enough information that a potential adopter can learn about the member, the member’s adoption policies/fees/steps, etc., and be able to contact the member, without leaving the member’s Petfinder home page. Any links to pages outside Petfinder must be below the organization header, name and pet list links and should open in a new browser window. Auto pop-up windows to other pages/sites and/or auto-downloading software (such as but not limited to hotbar, comet cursor, etc.) are not allowed.
5. Member-created web pages and content shall not promote or advertise any competitor of Petfinder, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company and/or any Petfinder sponsor. What constitutes a competitor and a sponsor will be determined at the sole discretion of Petfinder.
6. No advertising or links to pages outside Petfinder are allowed on Pet Profile pages in any fashion.
7. HTML should not be used in the Animal Description area of Pet Profile pages. Because we may share your pets on other web sites that do not support HTML, the code itself may appear, making your profiles difficult to read.
9. Eligibility for membership with Petfinder is determined at the sole discretion of Petfinder.
Each Petfinder member plays an integral role in the mission of increasing pet adoption and decreasing euthanasia. Maintaining a good reputation for pet adoption and a public trust in Petfinder is a responsibility we all carry to help all pets find loving homes. We ask that each Petfinder member adheres to a basic Code of Conduct, ensuring pet adoption is a positive and rewarding experience for Petfinder visitors and adopters and to promote a community experience within our membership.
Being a Petfinder member means that you agree to the following Code of Conduct:
✔ To actively maintain a listing of your organization’s adoptable pets on Petfinder.
✔ To only post adoptable pets once and only those directly from your organization in the location where they are currently being fostered or sheltered.
✔ To give truthful information about the pets’ description, to the best of you knowledge and to remove pets no longer adoptable from the shelters adoptable pet list.
✔ To post only adoptable pets, not pets or items for sale, pets for breeding purposes, pets not allowed by law or the promotion of commercial products or services..
✔ To operate in a not-for-profit manner, even if you do not have official non-profit status.
✔ To maintain a basic home page on Petfinder, giving visitors more information about your shelter or organization and what you do.
✔ To reply to questions from the public in a timely and respectful manner, without requiring an upfront fee or application process.
✔ To reply to questions from the Petfinder staff in a timely and respectful manner.
✔ To modify any pet profiles or home page content that violates this Code of Conduct within the timeframe requested by Petfinder staff.
✔ Not to post disparaging information on Petfinder about other organizations, individuals, Petfinder or Nestlé Purina PetCare Company. Because Petfinder is a family web site, content must be suitable to be viewed by visitors of all ages. Profanity and slander are prohibited.
✔ You warrant that you, and any users associated with your Petfinder account, do not have any animal welfare related citations, violations or crimes or other convictions that prohibit you from using the internet or social media sites.
✔ You agree that deviation from the Code of Conduct or Terms and Conditions may be grounds for my organization’s removal from Petfinder.
Last update March 28, 2016.
In addition to the above, you are subject to and agree to our general website Terms and Conditions.